"Deserted Lands"
Towns of Oregon (L to Z)

 

Lonerock, Oregon - Lonerock is located about 20 miles east of Condon on an unmarked gravel road branching off Highway 206. The town is named for a large solitary rock located next to the Methodist church. The community hall has been renovated in recent years. The town’s population of approximately 25 people pay minimal taxes and are served by a single phone line. Lonerock’s cemetery is about 5 miles south, at the top of a hill overlooking the town. A simple wire fence surrounds the cemetery which contains markers dating back to the late 1800’s.

 

Image of Lonerock, OregonImage of Lonerock, Oregon

Image of Lonerock, OregonImage of Lonerock, Oregon

 


 

Richmond, Oregon - The town came into being in 1890 as a result of farmers and ranchers tired of spending so much time traveling to get supplies. However, the invention of the automobile drastically reduced travel time and the town’s reason for existence faded. Richmond started to disappear about 30 years after it was founded. The town is located about one mile east of Highway 207, south of Service Creek.

 

Image of Richmond, Oregon

 


 

Susanville, Oregon - About 25 miles Northeast of John Day are the remains of the Susanville mining camp. Founded in 1864, the camp had rich gold deposits and claimed its name in 1901 when miners stole the post office from a rival camp downstream. Pictured is the 10 stamp mill built primarily to process ore from the Badger Mine. A few prospectors still work the area searching for gold.

 

Image of Susanville, Oregon

 


 

Wasco, Oregon - Located east of Wasco off Highway 97 is the Sunrise Cemetery. It is near the crest of a gentle hill and overlooks a peaceful landscape of farmers’ fields. It was established over 100 years ago and is still well kept by a devoted groundskeeper.

 

Image of Wasco, Oregon

 


 

Whitney, Oregon - Located south of Highway 7 between Austin and McEwan, Whitney was the prime station on the 80 mile long, narrow-gauge Sumpter Valley Railroad. 14 rail crews were stationed in town and 75 people were employed at the local saw mill which supplied lumber for the surrounding gold mining camps. Even with all this activity, the population never rose above 100. The town began its decline after the fire at the saw mill in 1918.

 

Image of Whitney, OregonImage of Whitney, Oregon

Image of Whitney, Oregon

 

Return to Previous Page.
Return to Home.